Thursday, August 22, 2019

FRONT SLIDERS AGAIN

This chassis came to me with one slider installed but the inner dirt sleeve wasn't installed. When I put the other side on I did some things wrong so here we go.

If an F type has the up lifted lugs on the top cross tube then the king pin has to come out the bottom and the long thread goes on the top so that you can mount the wing bracket. The short thread on the bottom holds the diagonal brace to the chassis.

I read Clarrie's method for mounting the slider on this type Morgan and it worked fairly well. I made up a 3/8" all thread rod and made the 2 slotted plates. The plates should be made from 1/8" X 2" flat bar about 8" long so you have a handle for pulling them out. That takes a bit of brutality to get them out under all the spring pressure but it can be done.

Here is the whole bit all compressed and ready to install. The rebound spring is loose but could be compressed with the rest of it. See the next try.

Here it is in place and ready for the slotted plates to be pulled (2nd photo). I pulled the bottom one first and tapped the spring into place. When pulling the top one there was a big BANG as the energy was released. Be sure your flying wires are in place. I dropped the threaded rod down from the top to hold it all in place when putting the king pin back in.


 On the second try I did it different. I put the rebound spring on the rod also along with a 1-1/2" long piece of 1/4" standard pipe. This worked much better because the whole assembly was put in place and the bottom nut was removed allowing the springs to relax into place. Then I removed the slotted plates. It was still tricky getting the top end of the pin into the cross tube.


No comments:

Post a Comment