Wednesday, November 24, 2021

THE BOOBOO

 As hard as you try a booboo can creep in. I was making the last cut on the last bore with the line bore machine. I needed to take out .006" on the diameter to finish the job and I moved the cutter out .006" instead of .003". So the rear bearing is 006" too big in diameter.

After spending several days kicking myself and thinking of ways to fix it the light bulb flickered on. I'll just machine a sleeve of the proper ID and OD to fit the oversize bore!! This is no different than how the can ran to start with. I had a nice piece of  Meehanite iron which is a fine grade of iron and made the sleeve.

It's now in place and the oil holes were then easily drilled. Booboo now fixed. Maybe I should have done this for all of them.




No comments:

Post a Comment