Wednesday, November 24, 2021

FINALLY THE ENGINE WORK IS PROGRESSING

 The problem is that my oil pressure with a hot engine at idle was near zero and at speed was only 20 PSI. The cam bores in the block were beyond the Ford wear limit so my oil pressure was being lost at the cam. Oil goes from the pump to the cam and from there to the main bearings and then to the rod bearings. I have no idea how much, if any,  was reaching the rod bearings. The For 100E engine has cam shell bearings and uses the same size cam as the 93E engine in the Morgan.

 I took the block to a shop in April to  have it line bored so I could install 100E cam bearings. The shop did make the end plates and two bushings to support the cutter shaft in the last 2 months. I finally went and picked it up and brought it to my shop to finish the job. I was very fortunate to be able to borrow a portable line boring device and finished the cuts myself.

This machine clamps to the end plate that supports the cutter bar. The spindle is driven by a drill motor. The one shown ran too fast so I borrowed a variable speed drill to get the RPM down to about 150. This device has a lead screw that is connected to the cutter bar and advances it at .005" per revolution of the cutter bar. The cutter bar has to be supported with bushings on each side of the bearing being cut. So for the #1 bearing you have to have a bushing in the end plate on the front of the block an a bronze bushing in the #2 bearing location. To cut #2 a bushing is needed at #1 and #3 bearing. For #3 a bushing at #2 bearing and the rear end plate.

Here is a better photo of the machine.

Look closely at this photo to see the cutter bar going through the block.

The cutter bar. This end attaches to the boring machine with a set screw.

 

The cutter has a locking set screw and a height adjusting screw underneath. I made a V block to measure  the cutter height above the bar surface. The dial indicator is first zeroed to the bar surface. Simple math tells me what the cut diameter will be (if I'm paying attention).

The cutter.






No comments:

Post a Comment