Tuesday, July 23, 2019

THE ENGINE

I have been studying the engine ever since getting the car in March and here is what I found.
1. The crankshaft is in excellent condition and mic's at std. size. I'll have it polished and get new bearing shells.
2. New Sport cam shaft.
3. Lightened flywheel with 1275 Spridget clutch
4. Aquaplane head and valve cover.
5. Aquaplane intake with new SU carbs.
6. Aquaplane exhaust manifold.
7. I'll need new valves and guides
And now the bad part.
8. The rods are OK but I'd like to get new ones with bearing shells.
9. The cylinders were bored to 30 over but a sleeve was installed in #1 cyl. It was bored about .004 oversize so the ring gaps are at .028" and the piston will probably rattle. I have a new Ford sleeve on the way from NY (thanks Chris) and a shop here will cut the old one out and press in the new one.

I could have just put the engine back together as is. The other cylinders were in excellent shape with no wear and like new clearance. I intend to put some miles on this car so I'll fix it the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment