Monday, July 1, 2019

HYDRAULIC MASTER CYLINDER/ Portable Drill Press

To mount the master cyl. I had to drill 8 holes into the chassis. Four to relocate the pedals and four to mount the cyl. bracket. Some years ago I came up with an idea that I call the "Portable Drill Press". I am sure someone else has done this but I thought I'd show it. You need a drill motor, a stick or pipe and a length of rope. You put this all together to make a lever that pushes the drill bit through the work piece.

To make this work easily you need the simplest knot in the rope so you can easily adjust the length. I have a small loop in one end and thread the tail end through the loop. I double the tail end and do a simple half hitch. This will slide up and get tighter as you pull on it and comes loose by just pulling the tail end.
Apply pressure to the stick to the right and get an easy 3 to 1 mechanical advantage. The rope can be on the far side of the drill if needed in which case you push the stick to the left. I've drilled many dozens of holes with this rig.

So now to the master cylinder. Here is the bracket I fabricated.
Here it is installed. There is another angel bracket on the near side with 2 bolts.
Here is the pedal connection and the finished view.



No comments:

Post a Comment