Wednesday, May 5, 2021

new propshaft

 When driving I got a vibration at about 45mph. It has to be the dreaded propshaft whip that is so common with the F type Morgan. My choice is to make a new shaft from 7/8" dia. 4340 steel. The bar should come in by the end of this week so today I made a test spline to be sure I could do it; never done one before. It came out just great, maybe a bit too tight so I'll add a couple thou. of slop in the real shaft.

The Bulletin has several articles on the subject. I'll add a support bearing part way up from the rear but not at mid point of the shaft. Some of the articles talk about using 2 or even 3 support bearings but I believe one is enough. One works fine with the twin car 2 piece shaft and it has worked with my JZR also. The idea is to break up the harmonic frequency of the shaft and raise the critical speed of the shaft.

More to come on this as it progresses.




No comments:

Post a Comment