Thursday, June 20, 2019

GEARBOX MOUNTING

Now to mount the gearbox. This car has a twin gearbox which is the same internally but the bottom mounting bosses are of a different height and angle requiring making some special shims. I set the gearbox in place and bolted the torque tube to it and to the front crossmember. Using feeler gauges i was able to determine the thickness at the front and back edges of the bosses. Then it was an easy machining job to make a tapered shim for the front and rear mounting spots.
I did this on a tilt table mounted on the mill table. I could adjust the tilt angle by using a dial indicator and reading across the plate until I got the difference in thickness I needed for the angle needed. The tilt table is not very wide so I had to shift my hold down bolts and do it half at a time.

Here is a view of the installed shims.


No comments:

Post a Comment